Noun(1) a person who keeps watch over something or someone(2) the person who plays that position on a football team(3) a device designed to prevent injury or accidents(4) a posture of defence in boxing or fencing(5) the person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team(6) a military unit serving to protect some place or person(7) a precautionary measure warding off impending danger or damage or injury etc.(8) the duty of serving as a sentry(9) (American football(10) a position on a basketball team
Verb(1) to keep watch over(2) watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect(3) protect against a challenge or attack(4) take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence
(1) I asked the guard what time the train got back to Salford.(2) he let his guard slip enough to make some unwise comments(3) Even those who are well known, for whatever reason, will fiercely guard their privacy.(4) Back in 1969 I was lucky enough to be part of the guard when Prince Charles was invested as Prince of Wales at Caernafon Castle.(5) It is said that a guardian angel is assigned to every person to guard and protect her or his body and soul.(6) If you succeed in sweeping your opponent then go back to the butterfly guard and try again.(7) a security guard(8) he's the captain of the palace guard(9) a retractable blade guard(10) two men were left to guard the stockade(11) soldiers on guard duty(12) You start with your opponent in the closed guard and a grip on his sleeve and lapel.(13) Inge believes the prospect of being posted to guard political prisoners, and the cruel conditions her son was expecting to have to enforce there, pushed him to attempt to escape.(14) Of course, that didn't stop the guard on my train advising us to change for the Central and Victoria Lines as we rolled into Stratford.(15) From butterfly guard, of course, you also have the option of returning to the half guard .(16) I had to wear a mouth guard constantly for about the first nine months, because my muscles were so tight that my teeth would grind.
(1) security guard :: satpam
(2) on guard :: ing njaga
(3) life guard :: njaga urip
(4) to guard :: kanggo njaga
(5) guard against :: njaga marang
(6) point guard :: njaga titik
(7) prison guard :: njaga pakunjaran
(8) guard dog :: njaga asu
1. sentry ::
2. warden ::
3. vigilance ::
4. safety guard ::
5. safety ::
6. precaution ::
7. guard duty ::
8. protect ::
9. keep under surveillance ::
supaya ing ndjogo
10. beware of ::
11. defend ::
12. ward ::
1. offensive ::
guard, guarded, guarder, guarders, guarding, guards
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
Turns out they GUARD the iPods,
but they don't GUARD the shirts.
The Big Bang Theory Season 4, Episode 5
Was he the one on GUARD duty?
Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 7
You can't slay the GUARD with a dagger.
The Big Bang Theory Season 2, Episode 3
Find some healthy horses
and a few knights to GUARD you.
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 9
One GUARD at the thing. Go on.
Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 1
English to Javanese Dictionary: guard
Meaning and definitions of guard, translation in Javanese
language for guard with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of guard in Javanese and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'guard'
What guard means in Javanese, guard meaning
in Javanese, guard
definition, examples and pronunciation
of guard in Javanese language.